There is a famous saying by Chairman Mao: “If you don’t get to the Great Wall you’re not a good man.” (不到长城非好汉。) As an ”Eighth Wonder of the Ancient World”, the Great Wall of China is a must-see attraction. However, there are many different sections of the Great Wall in Beijing, so which section is best for you?
For the first-time visitor to Beijing, who wants to see most highlights of the Great Wall in a time-saving manner, without too much exertion, the Great Wall at Mutianyu is probably the best choice.
Hike up the best fully-restored Great Wall section at Mutianyu.
Enjoy a peaceful time and being amazed by the Great Wall at Mutianyu which is less crowded, has better architecture, and has more watchtowers than other sections.
Take a cable car (or toboggan) up and down the mountain, avoid hiking up and walking back down the mountain on over 800 steps by taking a cable car or a toboggan, making it very easy to visit.
With the greens of pines and cypresses covering ninety percent of the surrounding area, the scenery there is beautiful all year round.
A unique Great Wall hiking experience escorted by a professional expert guide.
Get free drinking water and hiking equipment at the China Highlights Refreshments Kiosk at the foot of the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
Guide, Driver, Vehicle, and Customer Service Support
Guide: better than a normal licensed tour guide; friendly and helpful with fluent English
Driver: reliable licensed local driver with at least 5 years’ driving experience
Vehicle: Air-conditioned business car (max: 7 seats) with GPS facilities, big windows, and ample space
China Highlights Beijing Office: 24/7 customer service, providing backup support
Meet your guide at your hotel. He or she will be waiting in the hotel lobby, holding a placard with your name on it. Then drive to the Great Wall section at Mutianyu which will take about 1½ hours and we’ll have a rest and enjoy your delicious Beijing local food for lunch at our well selected local restaurant – Xinshuangquan.
Good to know:
- The day before your tour date, you are advised to find more details about your tour guide, driver and pick up time via this site: http://www.trippest.com/track-your-trip.html. All information will be updated only 24 hours ahead of your tour date. If you failed in getting the information, please try to contact your trip advisor.
- It is necessary to wear comfortable hiking shoes for the hiking.
- Be prepared for a hiking day and have a nice lunch before leaving.
- Do not forget you are going to the mountains where the weather can rapidly change, and that there are no shops on this part of the Wall.
- We are also available to provide the private airport transfer service for this trip, price from 18 USD p/p. Click here to book the transfer.
- We can drive our own vehicle to the foot of the Great Wall to save your precious time while others have to wait for the public transfer bus to the foot of the Great Wall.
Your guide will be waiting for you in your hotel lobby
Lunch at Xinshuangquan Restaurant
Upon arrival, collect some cool drinking water and a walking pole at the China Highlights Refreshment Kiosk at the foot of the Great Wall before taking a shuttle bus to the Mutianyu tourist area.
You will have two options for travelling up and down the Wall: round-way cable car and round-way chairlift (or toboggan). You can decide which option you prefer when you arrive. If you choose to go by cable car or the chairlift, it will take seven minutes to reach the top of the Wall, instead of going up by foot might take you 45 minutes climbing steps.
Cable car ascends to and descends from the 14th watchtower. From there, walk east to the 23rd watchtower on the most beautiful part of the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall. And chairlift ascends to the 6th watchtower. It would be a high challenge hiking from the 6th to the 23rd watchtower. According to your physical condition, most of our customers who take the chairlift up and down, hike from tower 6 to tower 14 and turn back to tower 6. Take a toboggan down the mountain which is fun. (If you want to take one way cable car and one way chairlift or toboggan, you need to pay the price difference CNY80 per person at your own expense.)
Good to know:
- We avoid (the worst of the) crowds on the Great Wall and traffic jams by visiting in the afternoon.
Arrive at the foot of the Great Wall and take a shuttle bus to the parking lot. You will be transferred back to your hotel at approximately 6:00 pm.
Good to know:
- If you plan to leave Beijing after your day tour, please check out from your hotel before departure. Normally it will take 10 to 20 minutes for hotel staff to complete the procedure. You may leave your luggage in our vehicle, and you will be transferred to the airport or train station straight after the tour to make best use of your time. You will need 1 hour to be transferred from the city center to airport, and you will need to be at the airport 1.5 hours before a domestic flight, or 2.5 hours before you’re an international flight. Tell us about your departure time when booking, and remind our guide, and we will make arrangements accordingly. We provide private airport / train station to transfer (price from 18 USD p/p).
|Adult (age 12+)||Child (age 2-11)||Infant (age<2)|
|$89 USD||$79 USD||free|
This tour is available daily, guaranteed departure. You’ll be a part of a small group with maximum 6 person.
- Entrance fees to the Great Wall at Mutianyu
- Transportation between your Beijing hotel and the Great Wall
- Lunch at Xinshuangquan Restaurant
- English-speaking mountain tour guide service
- Drinking water on the Great Wall
- Shuttle bus transfer service from the Gate of the Great Wall at Mutianyu to the foot of the Great Wall
- Round-way cable car or round-way chairlift and toboggan. (If you want to take one way cable car and one way chairlift or toboggan, you need to pay the price difference CNY80 per person at your own expense.)
- Personal expenses.
- Gratuities to the tour guide & driver (usually CNY 60 – 100 per person per day for each of them, please tip them separately.). It is not compulsory but would be a great encouragement for them.
- Airport transfer. Click here to book airport transfer service. (price from 18 USD p/p.)